Hey everyone! Hope your weeks are you well so far. I happily survived #WinterStormJupiter [insert We Will Rebuild meme here]. I am working an extra shift this week and wanted to be well-prepared before my work week started, so my main concern was if there would be any food left by the time I braved the store Sunday.
I am happy to say HyVee was well stocked Sunday night, albeit a little low on bread. I got a lot of stuff this week, and still stuck to my budget! I have to say these posts are really keeping me accountable 😉 We also picked up our Local Pig box today so I’ll share our biweekly goodies as well!
I factor the box into our budget for the week, but we still have a lot of leftover meat in the freezer, so I actually based our meal planning around that, and I’ll use this week’s box for meals next week.
Here is my plan for the week:
Recipe-wise, I used the following for inspiration (although I rarely follow directions well, and make some tweaks as I go):
- Turkey Chili Taco Soup by Skinnytaste -using ground beef from a previous butcher box, and I’m also omitting the corn
- Cracklin’ Chicken by Nom Nom Paleo
- BLT Macaroni Salad by Skinnytaste– Keaton’s favorite!
Aaaaand based on that, the meat we have on hand, and leftovers from last week, this is the grocery list I came up with:
And the final haul:
- Coffee Creamer: $2.99
- 4 Light & Fit Yogurts: $4
- Dozen Large Eggs: $1.89
- Half Gallon of Skim Milk: $1.89
- Frozen Broccoli: $1.34
- 2 Bags Frozen Cheesy Rice & Broccoli: $2.66
- 2 Cans of Tuna: $1.58
- Corn Tortillas: $1.68
- Dill Relish (instead of pickles): $1.49
- Pineapple Cups: $2.19
- 2 Cans Diced Tomatoes: $1.34
- Whole Wheat Rotini: $0.77
- Wheat Bread: $1.28
- Sweet & Salty Granola Bars: $2.50
- Life Cereal: $2.50
- Reduced Fat Cheez-Its: $2.50
- K Cups: $5.99
- 3 Quest Bars: $6.27
- Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese: $2.48
- 2 Tubs of Lunch Meat: $5.98
- Tortilla Crusted Tilapia: $6.02
- Celery: $1.48
- Bell Pepper: $0.99
- Baby Spinach: $2.50
- Roma Tomatoes: $.074
Total: $68.37 with taxes
So grand total for extra from last week ($21.53) and this week ($16.63) is $38.16!
Which as it works out, is perfectly planned to cover our Local Pig Box, which came to a total of $36.87. And here is what we got:
- 4 red wine Italian sausages
- 3 chicken thighs
- 16 ounces beef sirloin steak
- 16 ounces pork shoulder
- 8 ounces of roast beef
- Chorizo stuffed pepper (not pictured)
- Chili ginger vinegar
Now, let’s go over the items I purchased that were not on the list–were they necessary? Or just an impulse buy?
- Whole Wheat Bread
- Sweet & Salty Granola Bars
- Tortilla Crusted Tilapia
Technically, the tilapia was an easy dinner for Sunday night, since I didn’t feel like cooking after I got home from the store. And the other items were all items I had forgotten to add to the list for Keaton’s lunches. So, based on last week’s off-list items compared to this week’s, I’d say I need to be better about remembering my husband’s lunch items before I get to the store 😉 Poor guy has to eat too!
All in all, I’d say I did pretty good this week! We have a pretty awesome menu coming up, and I cut down from SEVEN extra items to just FOUR. Improving a little bit at a time 🙂
So, any tips for how to streamline my grocery shopping? Super saver ideas I don’t know about? Easy and delicious recipes I need to try? Let me hear them!